Q: How far can you drive your car if you need a catalytic converter

I was told that my catalytic converter is going out because my check engine light keep coming on.

Hi there. It’s very common for a bad or failing catalytic converter to cause multiple engine performance issues ranging from sluggish performance to potentially damaging seals and other internal engine components.

It’s very difficult to tell you exactly how far you can drive, because there is no way for us to know exactly how much damage exists. However, it’s recommended to have this system replaced as soon as possible to avoid further damage to engine components on your Volvo. If you’re looking to replace your catalytic converter, one of our local mechanics can come to your car’s location to assist you.

3. How far can you drive your car if you need a catalytic converter