Q: Transmission

My car is supposed to have only 4 speed automatic. Mine is shifting to a "5th" gear. Yes - it's true! And the tachometer even changes speed. I can feel the gear shift to a 5th. Did the manufacturer make a mistake? I'm certainly Not getting 5 speed mpg! At 18 mpg I feel like I'm driving like a 95-year-old grandma. Can you make any suggestions as to what to do? Thanks!

Hello there, The Chevy Aveo most certainly does come with a 4 speed automatic transmission. The 5th gear you may be feeling is the overdrive function of the 4th gear. 18 mpg seems quite low for this size of vehicle and engine, but it will also vary greatly depending on how the vehicle is driven. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your issues, starting with a diagnosis of your vehicle’s poor gas mileage, and recommend the best path to repair.

3. Transmission