Q: On interstate, engine died, idled, no power

asked by on June 27, 2016

Without warning, while driving 65 mph on the interstate, the engine died to idle speed and no power. Without power and rapid deceleration, it was extremely difficult crossing 3 lanes of speeding traffic! The check engine light came on and the code P2135 - throttle position switch failed. That caused P2106 and P1295 (limp home mode). When researching I found that this is a common problem with my make/model. There are TPS throttle position sensor repair options. It replaces the defective tps and a reflash of the ECM. I would want it claimed as a recall. It’s a potentially deadly problem! Are you familiar with this tps information and can you advise me about it and how to get this problem fixed?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello there, The TPS can be a serious issue if the car dies like it did. I would not recommend driving the vehicle until repairs have been performed. There is no recall for this fault though there is a technical service bulletin (TSB). Technical service bulletins differ from recalls as these are put out by KIA as advice on how to repair a fault that is a well known issue, versus a recall which is done through NHTSA or the manufacture itself where the manufacturer agrees to replace all parts due to safety.

The TSB for this vehicle is number 044 and it specifically mentions the TPS replacement and ECU reflash with the P2135 code. Given that this is what the TSB states, the best advice I can give is to follow the bulletin.

If you need assistance with this, seek help from qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They will be able to diagnose your Check Engine Light and perform any repairs required.