Q: Need AC temperature actuator replaced.

I had an AC temperature actuator replaced around a year ago and now I think I might need a new one replaced. While I was driving, the AC stopped blowing cold from some of the vents. If the car is turned off and back on, it seems to correct the situation sometimes.

A: Hi there, AC blowing cold from some vents ...

Hi there, AC blowing cold from some vents while warming up in other vents may be an indication of a low refrigerant charge level. This is what is likely happening due to low refrigerant level: The air passing over the fins of the portion of the evaporator where the refrigerant enters will be cooler than the air passing over the portion where the refrigerant exits due to the low refrigerant’s inability to cool all of the air passing through the evaporator fins evenly. This will mean you have distinct differences in air temperature coming out of the various vents. To check this you may want to enlist the help of a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the necessary equipment to:

1) Determine the AC refrigerant level and compare it to the charge level specified by the manufacturer.

2) Perform a leak check to either ensure system integrity or find a leak in the system.

3) Make necessary repairs and recharge the system to the correct charge level as specified by the manufacturer and performance test the system.