Q: Engine rattles around 2100 RPM and Oil light flashes

asked by on December 21, 2016

my 2011 Honda Accord has an engine rattle in both 1st and 2nd gear around 2100 RPM and the oil light flashes. But once I hit 2500-3000 RPM and higher gears the sound goes away....any idea what's wrong?

Hi there:

The shakes and rattles may be due to worn engine mounts or an out of tune ignition system. It’s also possible since your oil light is flashing, that your car is low on engine oil, which can cause vibrations in the engine at lower RPM’s. I’d start by checking your oil level and adding if needed to see if the vibration goes away. If it does not, contact a professional mobile mechanic to come to your location to diagnose why your Honda Accord is acting this way, so they can recommend the right repairs be completed.

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the oil pressure warning light is on, it means the oil pressure is too high or too low. If the pump has failed, there is a clog, a leak has developed, or the head gasket has blown, the oil pressure will change and alert the driver. There is likely a diagnostic troubleshooting code available from the computer. Have the vehicle scanned by a technician or at your local automotive parts store. Rattling noises may be a result of the lack of oil in the engine. Without oil to lubricate the numerous moving parts within the engine there will be rattling and other various noises. Check your oil level, and check for any leaks if it is low. If the level is full, you need to have the pump tested and possibly replaced. For more help, contact our service department.