1987 Ford e350 rv cranks over but wont start and have tri...

Q: 1987 Ford e350 rv cranks over but wont start and have tried everything and checked most reasons why it may not please help

asked by on May 31, 2017

I just lost my husband and have only our 1987 Ford e350 and I am about to lose that as well. Suddenly it started dieing out had a buddy check it out and he claimed it was the starter so it was replaced. Now it is completelling off and it does crank but no kick over to start and all other areas seem to be working finext. I have had 2 mechanics look at it and neither produced the issue with a fix. I need your help please and thanks.

At the age of your car it could be about anything, but the good news is that the engine in your truck is a pretty sturdy unit so I doubt you have major engine problems at just 96,K miles. A car that cranks but doesn’t start at all is usually about the easiest one to fix. An engine has to have fuel, ignition, and compression to run so it’s just a question of figuring out what’s missing. But speaking as on old guy, I sometimes find that some younger mechanics aren’t sure what to do with the old cars like yours that don’t have self -diagnostics. If you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a qualified technician to your home or office to check out your Ford and tell you what it is going to take to fix it.

Since the engine is cranking, the starter and battery are most likely not the issues. There may be a spark or fuel delivery issue. The engine needs spark, air, and fuel to start and run. Air is pretty much a given to be present. Lack of spark can be due to a failed ignition coil, ignition pick-up coil, or even the distributor itself. Without spark, the air/fuel mixture will not burn. Also, lack of fuel due to a failed fuel pump or even a clogged fuel filter. An electrical short or faulty wiring to either system can also be the cause. With so many different components being possible causes, it may be best to have a certified technician look into the no start issue to find the exact cause. Replacing random parts in hopes of replacing the correct one is the most expensive way to "fix" a vehicle. Most parts sources do accept returns on electrical or fuel related components especially once they have been installed.