What is the AC Air Filter all about?
You might be more familiar with the AC air filter as the cabin filter. This is either a single or a dual-filter setup that is housed inside the car. It sits behind the glovebox, and does a similar job to the engine’s air filter, except for the interior of your vehicle.
As air is pumped into the air conditioning system, it inevitably brings with it dust, pollen and other debris. This can be circulated into the car’s cabin, causing problems. An AC air filter helps to remove these particulates and ensure that you have a constant supply of clean, fresh air at all times.
Like all air filters, your AC air filter will eventually clog up and need to be replaced. This is done during normal maintenance, and generally performed during scheduled services like a 12k service.
Keep in mind:
- The AC air filter is inspected during normal maintenance.
- The AC air filter will eventually need to be replaced, and this is generally done during scheduled services.
How it's done:
- The AC air filter is verified that it needs to be replaced. The filter is accessed behind the glove box.
- The defective AC air filter is pulled out of the housing behind the access cover at the back of the glove box.
- The new AC air filter is installed in the same direction as the dirty one that was removed.
- The AC air filter access cover and the glove box are reinstalled.
- The AC is tested for proper operation of the AC air filter by turning on the AC and checking filter for abnormal air noise.
The AC air filter provides an essential service – it filters the cabin air of potentially harmful particles, including dust, dirt, pollen and more. Over time, the filter becomes clogged and must be replaced. In some cases, this requires the removal of the glovebox, and possibly a significant number of other elements. Have your cabin air filter checked regularly during services by our expert mechanics, and have it replaced when it is dirty.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the AC Air Filter?
- Musty, moldy smell from AC vents
- Reduced airflow in the car’s cabin
How important is this service?
The AC air filter is an important part of the overall system, preventing allergens, dust and other particulates from reaching the cabin. Over time, it becomes dirty and must be replaced.