P0961 Code Definition
The P0961 code is a generic powertrain code related to the transmission. In this case, the engine control module (ECM) has detected a low voltage on the line pressure control solenoid A control circuit for 4.4 seconds in a 5 seconds sample.
Codes related to the P0961 include:
- P0962: Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Low Voltage
- P0963: Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit High Voltage
What the P0961 Code Means
A line pressure control solenoid is part of the control solenoid (with body and transmission control module) valve assembly and is not serviced separately. The line pressure control solenoid regulates transmission fluid line pressure. The transmission control module varies the current to the pressure control solenoid valve from 0.1 amp for maximum line pressure to 1.1 amps for minimum line pressure.
When a P0961 code is stored, the ECM has found voltage levels to be outside of preset automaker variance allowances.
What Causes the P0961 Code?
Several problems may cause a P0961 code including:
- Damaged or defective electrical wiring
- Damaged or defective pressure control solenoid A
- Low transmission fluid levels
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Damaged or defective transmission control module
- Possible ECM failure (rare)
What are the Symptoms of the P0961 Code?
Symptoms of a P0961 code may include:
- Illuminated Check Engine Light
- The transmission control module may freeze transmission adaptive functions
- Transmission may shift roughly
- Transmission may not shift at all
- Shift may go into “limp mode”
How Does a Mechanic Diagnose the P0961 Code?
A mechanic may use several methods to diagnose a P0961 trouble code, including:
- Utilize an OBD-II scanner to check for a stored P0961 trouble code
- Visually all wiring, connectors, and harnesses for signs of damage, defect, or wear
- Inspect transmission control module assembly
- Ensure the transmission fluid temperature is between 122-176-degrees-Fahrenheit
- Operate vehicle in second gear to ensure a 5-degree rise in transmission control module temperature, then operate vehicle in park for five seconds
How Serious is the P0961 Code?
Because a vehicle’s safe driving operation may be impacted due to faults that store a P0961 code, this code is considered a potentially serious code. When this code appears, it is recommended to immediately take your vehicle to your local service center or mechanic for repair and diagnosis.
What Repairs can Fix the P0961 Code?
Several repairs can fix a P0961 trouble code and include:
- Repair or replace damaged, corroded, or faulty wiring and connectors
- Replace damaged or defective pressure control solenoid valve assembly
- Replace damaged or defective transmission control module
- Replace or repair damaged ECM (rare)
- Clear all codes, test-drive the vehicle, and rescan to see if any codes reappear
- Perform control solenoid valve and transmission control module assembly cleaning to dislodge any debris and free up the valves
Additional Comments for Consideration Regarding the P0961 Code
The P0961 code may also be set under low voltage conditions that are caused by higher than normal demands on the electrical system.
Need Help with a P0961 Code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.