What is the Door Latch all about?
The car has at least two door handles per door: one on the inside and another on the outside. Due to frequent use, they will eventually break down and could need repair. Sometimes the handle itself is fine, but there is a problem with the door latch assembly that prevents the door from shutting and locking properly.
Keep in mind:
- A damaged door latch can be the result of a damaged exterior or interior door handle.
- Damaged door latches cannot be repaired, only replaced.
How it's done:
- Remove the door panel to gain access.
- Remove and replace the broken door handle.
- Inspect door latch and replace if not working.
- Check door for proper operation.
- Reinstall door panel.
Anytime you notice a problem with a door in your vehicle, you should schedule an inspection. If your door feels stuck or finicky, or if it needs an extra hard slam to close it fully, then it’s time to schedule an inspection before the damage worsens.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Door Latch?
- Door will not open.
- Door will not shut.
How important is this service?
A door latch is responsible for ensuring that your vehicle’s doors stay closed. When this latch becomes damaged, your door won’t be able to stay closed. A door that won’t close is an extreme safety hazard, as you’ll have no way of securing the door and keeping it from flying open.