What is the Tail Light Lens all about?
A tail light lens is the colored piece of plastic that covers the light bulb on a vehicle’s tail light. Different colored lights have different meanings, so it’s important that the proper lens cover the light bulbs, which emit white light. When white light shows through a broken or cracked tail light lens, people following the vehicle may not realize that a car is slowing or stopping. Antique vehicles may have glass lenses, but cars manufactured later than 1985 will have plastic tail light lenses.
Keep in mind:
- When a vehicle has a broken or missing tail light lens, other drivers may not realize that the vehicle is slowing down which can cause accidents.
How it's done:
- The tail light lens is inspected to verify that replacement is needed
- The defective tail light lens is removed
- The new tail light lens is installed
- The bulbs are installed into the new lens
- The light is checked for proper operation
A vehicle should be inspected periodically. A damaged tail light lens should be replaced by our expert mechanics as soon as the damage is noted.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Tail Light Lens?
- Broken tail light lens
- Cracked tail light lens
- Missing tail light lens
How important is this service?
Tail light lens replacement is an important safety issue. While the vehicle will continue to run with a broken or cracked tail light lens, failure to promptly replace the tail light lens could make it difficult for other drivers to know when the vehicle is slowing or stopping. Police officers will ticket the driver if the tail light lens is damaged enough that white light shines through.