What is the Steering Gear Adjuster Plug all about?
The feel of the steering wheel on your truck or SUV can be adjusted if it is part of a steering gear or steering box-type system. The sector shaft in the steering box can be opened and the steering lash can be loosened or tightened. Typically, as vehicles age, there is excessive play in the steering gear or box. The looseness can be taken up by tightening the steering gear adjuster plug inside the steering gear. If the steering gear adjuster plug is too loose, the vehicle’s steering will not be responsive and there will be excessive play in the steering wheel side-to-side. If the adjuster plug is too tight, steering will be difficult and the steering wheel will not return to center easily after a turn.
Keep in mind:
- If you are having the steering gear adjuster plug repaired, have the rest of the steering and suspension inspected as well.
- Have a wheel alignment performed following a steering gear adjuster plug repair.
How it's done:
- The vehicle's front wheels are put straight and the vehicle is lifted and supported on jack stands
- The defective steering gear adjuster plug is removed
- The new steering gear adjuster plug is installed
- The vehicle is removed from jack stands
- The vehicle is started and checked for steering operation
Being able to accurately steer your vehicle is essential for the sake of your safety and those who share the road with you. The steering gear adjuster plug is only serviced or adjusted as symptoms present themselves. If you notice steering related problems or suspect your steering gear adjuster plug needs to be adjusted or replaced, have one of our expert mechanics inspect the system and repair it if necessary.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Steering Gear Adjuster Plug?
- Steering wheel fights back or feels loose
- Power steering fluid leaking from your steering gear
How important is this service?
A loose or tight steering system can present safety issues when driving. Have the steering gear adjuster plug repaired as soon as possible and minimize your vehicle usage until the repair is complete.