What is the Stay Rod all about?
Though a radiator is a large component in size, it is rather delicate in composition. It needs to be mounted firmly in place to prevent flexing and bending, which can damage it and cause leaks. Radiator supports known as stay rods bolt to the radiator to provide rigidity especially in situations where solid mounting points are not available closeby. The stay rods can run just a few inches to a crossmember, to a fender, or all the way to the firewall. If the radiator stay rods are broken, bent, or missing, the radiator could develop a leak from excessive movement, or the cooling fan could move too close to other parts and cause damage.
Keep in mind:
- The cooling system stay rod is also known as a radiator support.
How it's done:
- The vehicle hood is lifted and supported with a support tool or equal
- The defective stay rod is removed
- The new stay rod is installed
- The vehicle hood support tool is removed
- The vehicle hood stay rod is checked for hood support operation
Most stay rods will last longer than the rest of the vehicle. If your stay rod is broken or bent, have one of our expert mechanics replace it.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Stay Rod?
- Radiator isn’t solidly mounted
- Metallic rattling noise under the hood
- Coolant leaking from the radiator
How important is this service?
The radiator stay rod is important to the cooling systems longevity. If the stay rod breaks or is bent, other damage is likely to occur. While it does not require immediate attention, a stay rod should be replaced quickly.