What is the Rear Window Defogger Switch all about?
The rear window defogger is a grid of surface-mounted wires on the rear window of your car. Electricity runs through the grid and the wires create heat that melts snow and ice from the window and clears moisture that fogs up the glass. The power for the rear window defogger is controlled by a switch at the driver’s discretion, and automatically turns off after a set time. The rear window defogger switch lights up when in use to show when the system is active. If the rear window defogger switch fails to complete a circuit or gets stuck, the rear window defogger will not operate.
Keep in mind:
- Always be careful when driving in inclement weather.
- It is wise to clear snow from the rear window before letting the defogger handle the rest.
How it's done:
- The fuses are checked and dash trim panel is removed for access to switch
- The defective rear window defogger switch is tested and removed
- The new rear window defogger switch is installed
- The dash trim panel is reinstalled
- The rear window defogger is tested for proper operation
The window defogger switch doesn’t require attention unless the rear defogger system is not working at all. If you suspect the rear window defogger switch is faulty, have it tested and replaced by one of our expert mechanics.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Rear Window Defogger Switch?
- Rear window defogger simply isn’t clearing the window
- Defogger works intermittently
- Defogger button doesn’t light up
How important is this service?
The rear window defogger switch is crucial for maintaining visibility through the rear window. If the switch fails, have it replaced promptly.