What is the Oil Pump Cover Gasket all about?
Your oil pump, which is responsible for pumping oil through the engine, requires protection itself. It is mounted inside an oil pump cover, which can become the source of a leak (oil can leak out at the base where the oil pump cover attaches to the engine). This is prevented by an oil pump cover gasket.
The oil pump cover gasket is designed specifically for your vehicle, and you’ll find a number of different materials used in its production. The cover gasket provides a seal between the cover and the engine and prevents oil from seeping out around the edges.
All gaskets are subject to wear and tear during normal use. The high heat and pressure can weaken gaskets over time and create cracks. The best way to prolong the life of your oil pump cover gasket is to change your oil changed regularly, but it will need to be replaced eventually.
Keep in mind:
- Oil leaks can be spotted and monitored during normal maintenance.
- Even minor leaks should be dealt with quickly, as they will cause greater problems.
How it's done:
- The engine belts and fan clutch are removed, then the oil pump is removed
- The defective oil pump gasket is removed
- The new oil pump gasket is installed
- The oil pump, belts and fan clutch are reinstalled and oil is filled
- The vehicle is started and checked for oil pump leaks and operation
Have one of our expert mechanics inspect your engine during routine maintenance. Our mechanic will identify the location and severity of any oil leaks, allowing you to make an informed decision about repairs and replacements.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Oil Pump Cover Gasket?
- Oil leaking from behind the timing cover
- Oil leaking near intake manifold
How important is this service?
All oil leaks are serious, and action should be taken as soon as possible. While you can monitor your fluid level and keep the engine topped off to prevent damage right now, the gasket could fail completely at any time, causing serious damage. Work with our expert mechanics to monitor the situation and replace the oil pump cover gasket as soon as possible (or when deemed necessary by the mechanic).