What is the Fuel Meter Assembly all about?
When you go to the gas station to fuel up, you usually do so because your fuel gauge or fuel meter shows that you are low on fuel. The fuel meter is the gauge on your instrument cluster that displays your fuel tank level.
On older vehicles, the gauge may have been in a separate pod, though many are integral in the instrument cluster. The fuel level sensor in the fuel tank reads the resistance from the float level, and transmits that resistance to the fuel gauge.
On newer vehicles, the information goes through a body control module, which then sends a signal to the fuel meter. The needle on the fuel gauge goes up or down based on the resistance sent by the fuel level sensor. If the fuel meter assembly is not working as designed, the needle may get stuck in either the full or empty position, or the level may read erratically.
Keep in mind:
- The fuel meter is the part of your instrument cluster that displays the fuel level.
- Any work performed on the fuel system should be done by an experienced professional.
How it's done:
- The vehicle's battery is disconnected and rear seat is removed for fuel pump access
- The defective fuel meter assembly is removed from fuel pump assembly
- The new fuel meter is installed onto the existing pump and pump is reinstalled
- The seat is reinstalled and the battery is reconnected
- The repair is verified and the fuel meter tested for proper operation
The fuel meter assembly is not part of any maintenance service, nor does it require adjustment. If the fuel meter does not display the correct fuel level, it may need to be replaced. On some vehicles, that means the instrument cluster as a whole needs to be changed. Have one of our expert mechanics diagnose the problem accurately and replace the fuel meter assembly if necessary.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Fuel Meter Assembly?
- Fuel gauge reads full all the time
- Fuel gauge stays at empty even with a full tank
- Fuel meter reads erratically or inaccurately
How important is this service?
The fuel meter assembly is not a mandatory component for safe vehicle operation, though you may be left in an uncomfortable situation if you run out of fuel unexpectedly. If the fuel meter assembly has been diagnosed as faulty, have it replaced.