What is the Cold Start Injector all about?
The cold start injector is also known as the cold start valve. The part is located on the cold air intake, which is found on the intake manifold. It is a fuel injector that is controlled electronically. The cold start injector works only when the engine has a cold start, or when the engine’s temperature is below a certain point. When this happens, a computer tells the injector to inject more fuel into the mixture that goes through the cylinders to the engine. The goal is for the engine to have an easier and faster start even when it is cold.
It is important to note that the temperature is referring to that of the engine, not the outside weather. When the cold start injector isn’t working properly, the engine will sound rough and will have trouble idling unless pressure stays on the pedal to increase the amount of fuel that goes into the manifold. The engine may keep dying every time it is started until it warms up enough.
Keep in mind:
- The cold start injector also helps moderate engine speeds while improving performance and even fuel economy.
- Another job of the cold start injector is to help control engine idle speed.
- The cold start injector wires are separate from other injectors and they are often screwed in.
- The injector can be tested for proper working order.
How it's done:
- The Cold Start Injector is verified that it needs to be replaced. The electrical connector is then disconnected.
- The defective Cold Start Injector is unscrewed from the housing and removed.
- After the new Cold Start Injector is installed and secured into the housing, the fuel line is connected.
- The electrical connection is then connected and the Cold Start Injector is tested for operation.
- The vehicle is road tested to ensure proper operation of the Cold Start Injector and checked for leaks.
If the engine sounds unusual when idling or if it has trouble starting when it is cold, you should have one of our expert mechanics inspect the cold start injector. The technician can test it with a diagnostic meter to determine the issue.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Cold Start Injector?
- Engine won’t start or stalls
- Engine runs poorly
- Engine stops when you take your foot off the pedal
How important is this service?
The engine may not start when the cold start injector stops working, so it is important to have it tested before you are stranded.