Q: Unable to go past 70-80 Km when going up a hill. Code P0174 with flashing engine light

I recently got the P0174 code and the engine light also flashes some of the time (misfire?). I have a Ford Taurus 1998.

The car runs fine except when I go up a hill it lacks power and cannot go past 70-80Km and if I give it more gas it does not increase in speed but instead goes into high RPM (around 4000). Maybe downshifts? Car runs fine on flat ground. I also have higher fuel burn then usual but haven't noticed any fuel leak. I do smell a bit of gas from the engine when it's running, but it's an old car so maybe it's normal?

So far I have cleaned the MAF, changed the gas filter, changed the spark plugs, put fuel injector cleaner, replaced the air filter and replaced a couple vacuum hoses that were getting old. The car now idles better then it used to but the engine light and lack of power going up a hill hasn't gone away.

A: Hello. A flashing Check Engine Light is an ...

Hello. A flashing Check Engine Light is an indicator that the computer has detected an issue that may potentially cause harm to the vehicle's emission system components. The code P0174 indicates a lean condition on bank 2 of the engine. A lean condition is when there is insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine. This will cause misfires, hesitation, loss of power, but is also dangerous to the engine, as a lean condition can lead to detonation. A lean condition can be caused by many things. A few things I would check are the fuel pump, injector, and the MAF and oxygen sensor signals. If you need a diagnostic to be done in person, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the loss of power problem and advise on proper repairs.