Q: My car idles high when coasting in neutral the revs stays at 1100 till i come to a complete stop

asked by on June 02, 2017

my car a tata indica 2007 model manual. idles round 1100 when car in neutral and coasting it stays there till I come to complete stop.

This may be a sign of a vacuum leak. High idle speeds or in some cases rough idle, stalling and hissing sounds are common signs of a vacuum leak. When a vacuum leak is present in an engine, this causes an excessive imbalance in the air/fuel ratio which creates a loss of power and causes the motor to run at a much higher RPM as a result of the increased oxygen present in the fuel charge being injected into the motor. This may also be caused by an idle control valve that may be sticking or failed due to old age or deterioration. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vacuum leak as these can be very difficult and time consuming to trace.