Q: My wife's Lexus GX470 was dead the other morning, I jumped it, took it for a drive with no problems, let it sit for 5 hours, went

With the old battery the power would drain and start clicking when attempting to start, with the new battery the engine just cranks but won't turn over and start. There is no drainage of power when I try to start it with the new battery installed. I did clean the the connections on the cables prior to installing the new battery and there were no lack of performance issue(s) noted before the vehicle died

A: Hello. This can be caused by a few things. ...

Hello. This can be caused by a few things. If the battery was connected improperly at any point then you may have had a fuse blow. Most of the time if this occurs the vehicle wouldn’t have started to begin with.

It sounds like a programming issue. This occurs frequently after a battery replacement. Most of the time unhooking the battery and touching the cables together and then reinstalling them will take care of it. Other times it will need to go to the dealer to be reprogrammed.

I would suggest having the car looked at by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can diagnose the starting issue and help you repair it as necessary.