Q: Alarm kill Switch Cannot turn off

We bought the vehicle several years ago from an individual seller, we do not have a fob for the van and have only used the key to enter, exit and start the vehicle. As of recently the battery has died on the van and we put in a new battery and reset it, however now the alarm has apparently been reset. We cannot start the car now with this key, or turn over.

A: Most aftermarket alarm systems have some so...

Most aftermarket alarm systems have some sort of control module that is tied into the ignition system to prevent the vehicle from starting. Depending on the brand and the installer, it could be under the dash somewhere or under the hood. It has to tap into the ignition system somewhere.

Depending on the brand, it could have tapped into ignition switch wires under the dash or directly to the ignition coil/control module. If you can locate the module and find a brand name for the alarm system, then maybe a local alarm installer can provide you with a fob to arm and disarm the system. There may be an override switch that an alarm installer may be able to assist you with or remove the system entirely if a fob is no longer available. If you need help with this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to look over the system and help you get your car started again.