Q: Oil Pressure hot engine - 1979 Mercedes-Benz 240D

I noticed the oil pressure was way down on my car and the engine was getting hot. The engine was making a noise too. There is also a problem with the timing. Can you tell me what I should do to start fixing my car? Thank you.

Hello. Engine timing and the oil pump work hand in hand. If the timing of the engine is off, then the oil pump won’t work as it should and this will cause low oil pressure. The first thing to do is to have the timing issue repaired to make sure the oil pump is working properly. I would also have the engine compression checked to make sure there isn’t any internal problems like burned valves or dead pistons. If you would like to have this checked, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, can diagnose your oil pressure concern and let you know what needs to be done.

3. Oil Pressure hot engine - 1979 Mercedes-Benz 240D