Q: Ecu vin verification

asked by on February 27, 2017

Trying to use smarty programmer but when installed the smarty says wrong vin number so I thought the smarty was vin locked so I shipped it to smarty and they said it wasn't vin locked so I did some research and came up with my truck ecu not displaying the vin correctly so i took my truck to a local programmer and he verified that my trucks ecu is not displaying the last 3 vin numbers. So he tried to rewrite the vin but my ecu won't take it. Has anyone heard of this and if so what can I do? I'm assuming the last step would be buy a new ecu and get the software installed on it and have them put the my vin and mileage on it but I'm seeing if there's an alternative route. The dealer wont touch my truck because they said I had to of purchase the truck from them to do anything with my ecu so they suggested me buying a ecu from them then they would reprogram it for me for $2500.No thank you I've seen some remanufactured ecu online that are plug and play for 500 but I'm looking for alternative

Hi there. This really isn’t a service we offer or are best suited to give you any "good" advice on. When it comes to ECU’s, we always defer to the OEM solution; due to the possibility of connectivity issues with supporting ignition, fuel and emissions systems that typically occurs through the ’aftermarket’ solution. You be one of the fortunate ones that does not have this type of problem, but we wouldn’t recommend that option. Hope you find a solution that is reasonable and good for you.