Q: Q: Oil light came on

My car is a 1999 toyota Corolla, it has 200,1650 miles on it. Oil light just came and is reading no codes there is plenty of oil in the car. I was driving when the oil light came on it them began to want to stall on me. This happened 2 times. I took it to a shop and the guys said it could be the oil pump. I am not sure what is going on. I need some answers before I take it to Toyota where it might cost me $1,000.00 to have fixed.

My car has 200,000 miles.

The oil pressure light will usually come on when a few things could be happening. Either the motor is in fact low on oil, the oil pump could be failing or the oil pressure sending unit is not working properly and may be producing a faulty reading. If the engine is in fact low on oil, you may notice the temperature gauge reading above normal temperatures as a result of the lack of sufficient oil in the motor. I would recommend checking the actual oil level in the motor by using the dipstick. Be sure the oil level reaches the "full" mark. If this registers as "full" then you likely have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. Many vehicles also have a safety feature built into the vehicle’s computer system which will shut the engine down completely or trigger a “safe mode” of some kind which will drastically limit the vehicle’s engine power to avoid further engine damage until the oil pressure problem is corrected. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your low oil pressure light to come on.

3. Q: Oil light came on