Q: Transmission doesn't shift, gets stuck in fail safe mode.

The truck shifts normally until it is driven 10 - 15 miles , then when I restart it and go it doesn't shift. I read online that it is going into a " fail-safe" mode. It will move and reverse is good , just seems like it is stuck in 2nd gear. HELP!!!!! Thank You

A: Depending on the circumstances, it may in f...

Depending on the circumstances, it may in fact be in "fail-safe" mode. When this happens you will normally also have a Check Engine Light on which will usually cause fault codes to be registered in the ECU. When the vehicle goes into safe mode, this is done by the ECU in order to prevent further damage to the failing part or component (whatever that may be). You will need to have the truck hooked up to a scanner to download these codes to further narrow down the problem. To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to perform a diagnostic check on your shifting issue.