Q: Vehicle sputters and dies

asked by on February 22, 2016

The vehicle takes a while to turn on. When it does, it's fine for a couple of minutes, but then it starts to bog down, sputter, and sometimes shuts off. When I try to drive it and push on the throttle, the vehicle bogs down and sputters like it wants to die.

Engine is sputtering Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This can be caused by a number of things. If it is hard to start and acts like this if it is usually fuel related. I usually start by scanning the computer for codes. If there are codes present, then that can help to isolate the issue. If there are no codes, then I would check the fuel pressure. I would monitor to see if the fuel pressure is bleeding off. Most of the time this is caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator. If the regulator fails it can cause the engine to not have enough fuel or to have too much fuel from a leak. If you are going to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your vehicle’s sputtering issue.