Q: The car starts only with Easy Spray

asked by on August 19, 2016

The van wouldn't start so I tried spraying some Easy Start and it immediatelly started up. I attempted to start it the usual way but it won't start. So, I have to keep spraying it each time so as to get it running. I checked the fuel system. The injectors are getting fuel. There is no air in the system. The fuel pump seems to be working fine as it keeps sending the fuel to the injectors. The battery has power. What could be causing this? What else should I check?

Hi there. Thanks for writing in about your 2010 Ford Transit Connect. It sounds like there may not be a crank signal occurring at the normal cranking speed. If there is not, then the engine will not start. If adding the starting fluid to the engine gets it going, then it provides enough speed to get the signal strong enough to start the vehicle. Most of the time, replacing the crank position sensor will solve this. I usually also use a scan tool to see if the sensor is reading properly. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting problem and determine how to best proceed.