Q: Advice on buying a used European car

I've been looking for a used and reliable European car. I've been looking at a '93 Volvo 240. I know that new ones are money pits, but how are these in reliability compared with '80s diesel Mercedes and '90s used Camry?

A: Unfortunately, "used" and "r...

Unfortunately, "used" and "reliable" are two words that typically don't go well together with European cars. They are expensive cars to repair and fix. A long time ago, the Volvos were good cars and a '93 240 wasn't a bad car.

But it is really old now and often worn out. The parts for Volvos cost a lot. If you are going to do that, get a '90s used Camry or an Accord especially the Camry. Those '90s Camries can last forever. I worked on one the other day and that Camry had 456,000 miles and had the original engine and transmission. The AC still blew cold. So, I would go with the '90s Camry if you can find a good one in a decent shape. If you go for a used car, make sure to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a certified mechanic. This can reveal any underlying issues that may not be immediately obvious and give you peace of mind with your purchase.