Q: Advice on buying a used European car

I've been looking for a used and reliable European car. I've been looking at a '93 Volvo 240. I know that new ones are money pits, but how are these in reliability compared with '80s diesel Mercedes and '90s used Camry?

Unfortunately, "used" and "reliable" are two words that typically don’t go well together with European cars. They are expensive cars to repair and fix. A long time ago, the Volvos were good cars and a ’93 240 wasn’t a bad car.

But it is really old now and often worn out. The parts for Volvos cost a lot. If you are going to do that, get a ’90s used Camry or an Accord especially the Camry. Those ’90s Camries can last forever. I worked on one the other day and that Camry had 456,000 miles and had the original engine and transmission. The AC still blew cold. So, I would go with the ’90s Camry if you can find a good one in a decent shape. If you go for a used car, make sure to have a pre-purchase inspection done by a certified mechanic. This can reveal any underlying issues that may not be immediately obvious and give you peace of mind with your purchase.