Q: Car shuts off, won't stay running

Recently my car begin acting weird. I've owned this car for a few months w/ no issues until recently when I was driving down my dirt rd & the car shut off. I cranked the car back up & it would run for a second than shut off. Eventually I was able to get the car running long enough to drive the car home. But of course it cut right off after pulling in my driveway. Since then I've cranked the car up multiple times & each time the car runs fine, but after 15 minutes of just letting the car idle, it shuts off. So far, I have replaced the ECU relay and that has not fixed the issue. I don't got the money to bring it to my local VW dealership so I'm hoping someone can help me on here.

The most common problem on this vehicle is the fuel pump and fuel pump module. If you remove the rear seat that the fuel pump cover is, on the passenger side. Listen to the fuel pump when it is running and when the car stalls your fuel pump will stop running about three to five seconds before the engine dies. Then you’ll know if the fuel pump is the culprit or not.

You can try and replace the fuel pump module first then replace the fuel pump. However, the fuel pump can short the module out, causing both to be bad and would need to be replaced. If you need assistance with this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your starting issue firsthand and help you fix it accordingly.

3. Car shuts off, won't stay running