Q: Engine light is on, Catalytic converter is bad. 2008 Jeep Wrangler

Recently while I was driving down the road my engine light came on. I took it to Auto Zone and they said it was a bad catalytic converter. Nothing seems to be wrong with the car, its running fine and my gas mileage hasn't dropped. Im wondering if I can fix it without replacing it. In addition to which converter its talking about the front or rear one.

Catalytic Converter Replacement $279.51 - $3103.51 Get a Quote

Hi - on your Jeep the catalytic converter(s) - all 4 of them - are welded together as a single assembly, going from the engine manifolds, to the center muffler section. You don’t indicate your mileage, so it’s hard to determine whether excess mileage, or city stop-and-go driving are predominant. Check the engine codes to determine which specific cat is bad, but replacing the whole assembly is likely in order. Beyond the old "Italian tune-up", cats really can’t be cleaned. I recommend replacement of the catalytic converter assembly by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.