Q: Engine light is on, Catalytic converter is bad. 2008 Jeep Wrangler

Recently while I was driving down the road my engine light came on. I took it to Auto Zone and they said it was a bad catalytic converter. Nothing seems to be wrong with the car, its running fine and my gas mileage hasn't dropped. Im wondering if I can fix it without replacing it. In addition to which converter its talking about the front or rear one.

Hi - on your Jeep the catalytic converter(s) - all 4 of them - are welded together as a single assembly, going from the engine manifolds, to the center muffler section. You don’t indicate your mileage, so it’s hard to determine whether excess mileage, or city stop-and-go driving are predominant. Check the engine codes to determine which specific cat is bad, but replacing the whole assembly is likely in order. Beyond the old "Italian tune-up", cats really can’t be cleaned. I recommend replacement of the catalytic converter assembly by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Engine light is on, Catalytic converter is bad. 2008 Jeep Wrangler