Q: '98 VW Bug endless oil leak

asked by on December 27, 2016

I have a '98 VW Bug with 115,000 miles on it. After about a month we noticed a pretty bad oil leak. We have taken it to our mechanic four times and they said they replaced everything in it that had to do with the oil, valves, gaskets etc. The leak subsided for a few weeks, & now it's back and worse than ever. I filled it up with oil and checked three days later and it was completely empty. There was also some yellow sludge on the dipstick and all over the oil cap and down where you pour the oil. They said the one thing they have left to replace is a PVC pipe but aren't sure if that will fix the problem. Do you have any idea of what's going on?

Hi there. The valve cover gaskets are probably worn and need replaced. If all of the gaskets are replaced and there is still oil coming out of the engine, then replace the positive crank case vent valve (PCV). If the valve is replaced and there is still an oil leak, then check the rear main seal as it may be leaking. If you need further assistance with your engine oil leak, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.