Q: Airbag warning light is always on

The Airbag light on the dashboard of my 2006 Toyota Sienna stays on most of the time even after taking it to get looked at five times. I have annual state-required inspections, so I keep dumping money into it. At one point, I even replaced the airbags, which cost thousands. The light was back on in 2 months. I cannot keep doing this. I have 45,000 miles on this van and I need a solution. What can I do?

Greetings! Thank you for writing in about this problem. This is a common problem to that generation of Sienna. In January of 2014, Toyota released Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 0069-12) for this specific concern. The TSB outlines the diagnostic procedure and replacement of a defective length of wiring that connects to the seat Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). The specific coverage is based on the VIN, and it may or may not be covered under Toyota warranty. Contact your local Toyota dealer, explain the problem, mention the TSB number, and schedule an appointment for an inspection and/or repair. If the vehicle is covered under warranty and the wiring needs to be replaced, it should be covered at no additional cost to you.