Q: Engine sputtering and manual gear-shifter is getting stiff.

My engine has stated sputtering in all manual gears. The gear-shifter is getting stiff. Does this mean the clutch is going out?

Hi there. It’s possible that the shifting issue could be related to the clutch, but that seems more like a gear linkage issue. The engine vibration is most likely not related; and could be caused by a damaged vacuum line or ignition system component that is damaged or simply dirty. I think it’s best to have a professional mechanic complete an engine is vibrating or shaking inspection.