Q: Cylinder misfire #5 and code P2314

When driving, check engine will come up and it will go out when driving as well, Shaking,loss of power,headlights dimming loosing power not relevant to cylinder don't know why it does that when ever the shaking starts, could a be a PCM problem or maybe a bad injector ??

A: Hi there. The most likely cause of this is ...

Hi there. The most likely cause of this is a bad coil. It is not uncommon for ignition components to display intermittent misfire conditions. The shaking and loss of power are consistent with a cylinder misfire. The dimming of the lights would not seem to be, but I wouldn't concern myself with it unless it continued after the misfire condition is fixed. The code indicates the problem lies in the ignition system and not the injector. The PCM is a possibility, but coil over plug coils are prone to failure on all vehicles. Essentially they are the spark plug wires on new cars.

Remove the coil and spark plug for the #5 cylinder and inspect them. You are looking for any discoloration or breaks in the coil boot. It takes some experience from someone to show you what else to look for. So if your not sure, even the most experienced of us will just replace the coil. The same goes for the spark plugs. If you replace the spark plug and coil and the problem persists, the next step will be to catch the motor when it misfiring and confirming the PCM is or is not supplying the necessary ground to the coil. Depending on how intermittent the problem is, recreating the problem can be the biggest challenge. Regardless, coil on plugs fail some commonly that it is cost effective to simply replace the suspected coil.

If you should require further assistance, I recommend having an expert diagnose the misfire in person so that this can be properly corrected.