Q: Groaning / binding noise when turning the wheels. I put on a used power steering pump from wrecking yard and the sound still is present.

asked by on November 19, 2016

I have done a thorough look over of steering components. There are no signs of leakage or obvious damage. Also the tight binding groaning noise doesn't start until after car has been driven a few miles. It is like the sound of built up pressure in the system. Should I try installing a new pump? Also my brother gave me a good idea to take the steering pump belt off then turn the wheels. I did this and the sound was still present but I had driven the car not too long before this so I feel like the test may have been inconclusive as there was still pressure possibly in the rack and pinion that made the noise. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Hi there. The noises that admit when the power steering is moving is the pump. The other parts will not make any noise except for a water swishing noise as the fluid moves from side to side in the steering lines. If the noise is still there after removing the power steering belt, then the noise could be the alternator. The alternator will make the same noise as the power steering as the bearing in the back of the alternator is seizing up. I recommend removing all of the belts to the engine after the vehicle has been driven for a couple of miles when the sound begins and see if the sound is still there or not. Now, if the sound is only when the steering wheel is turned and not in a straight pattern, then there could be an issue with the transmission. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with the noise you are hearing when the vehicle is getting warmed up driving on the road.