Q: Crank No Start

I started my car then it turned off after a couple seconds now the engine will crank but it won't turn over. There is oil leaking from underneath the distributor. Could it be a broken timing belt or distributor O-ring?

The oil leaking from the distributor is just an oil leak. It will not cause your car to not start. There are two places the oil can leak from on your car though. The distributor mounting seal and there is a seal inside the cap. It is possible for the seal inside the cap to get so bad it could cause a no start. Just remove the cap and take a look. A little oil is ok. You are looking for a large amount to cause your problem.

With crank no starts, you need to check for the items all ICE (Internal Combustion Engines) need. Spark, fuel, injector pulse, and camshaft timing. It could be your timing belt, and there are two different methods to check this. With your Integra, it is relatively easy to remove the top timing cover and directly inspect the timing marks. This of course requires access to the information explaining how the marks line up. The next method is a bit less invasive. You can do a compression check. All the cylinders should be within about ten to twenty PSI of each other. If one or more is way off, you probably have a problem with the camshaft timing. If the belt is broken, the pistons will not move at all and you will have zero compression. Acura’s aren’t known for breaking timing belts, unless they don’t get done on their appropriate maintenance schedule. If your car has not had a timing belt, then it is way over due and the timing belt may have broken. It is the first question I would ask you if I were working on your car.

You will need to test several other systems. You will need a fuel pressure gauge to test for fuel pressure, a spark tester to check for spark and a noid light to test for injector pulse. What diagnostic path you follow will be determined by the results of these tests.

If you need further help, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can comediagnose your starting issue firsthand for an accurate repair.

Good luck!