Hesitation occasional misfire and poor mpg blazer 2000 ch...

Q: Hesitation occasional misfire and poor mpg

asked by on July 10, 2017

Had a very long cranking time to start idled very rough and had poor power/acceleration. occasionally when I first start the car there is almost zero power even with the peddle to the floor and it will backfire a few times. But not a normal back fire it sounds a lot quieter, and comes from the front of the vehicle inside the engine bay. After a few pumps of the peddle it's like it never happened and the rest of the drive the car runs normally. I changed the fuel filter and it smoothed out the idle. I opened to intake plenum, back two cylanders we're washed clean, so I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. solved the long cranking. Now the hesitation/power/poor fuel economy problem. So far replaced worn dist cap and rotorand map sensor also plugs and wires. Got a touch better. Then unplugged the maf and got a little power and acceleration back. So bad maf? Or something else being masked running in open loop?

The MAF is a possibility. I think it is also possible that one or more injectors are clogged or malfunctioning as the symptoms you describe sound like that of a fuel system issue. I would recommend having the fuel injectors and mass air flow sensor tested with a digital multimeter to determine if they are within the manufacturer’s specifications. If not, replace any parts that fail to meet specifications.