Q: Spike in costs around 120,000 miles?

The web site reports a spike in service costs at the 10 year mark. Do you have any idea why? I'm considering purchasing a used car as described above. What service costs should I expect for this car?

A: Hi there. Your question of what to expect i...

Hi there. Your question of what to expect in service costs is difficult to answer. There are variables involved, whether the vehicle was driven hard by the previous owner(s), or whether the vehicle has had maintenance performed at the recommended service intervals or whether the vehicle has pattern failures. Service records provided with the purchase could help. The graphs are generated from data collected from a wide variety of sources. The spike in costs that you are seeing might be related to tune ups or timing belt replacements that may generally be performed during this time. To get a clear picture of the car’s condition, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to give the car a pre-purchase inspection.