Q: Check Engine Light On

The check engine light is on, so I took it to a mechanic. He said it was a leak in the evap canister. But in order to replace that they have to remove the rear differential which would be 5-6 hours of labor. They want to charge $1000+. Does this sound about right? Around that time I was also in a minor accident where a parked car was backing out and hit the rear passenger side. Could this have been what caused the leak in the first place?

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are several reasons the EVAP canister would develop a leak, but an accident is absolutely capable of causing it. Unfortunately the more compact a car gets, the more difficult some of these components become to get to. However, there should be an access door in the trunk that will give you access to those components. While you will still need to get under the vehicle to remove the bolts, you should be able to pull the small charcoal canister out of the trunk. If your model does not have an access door to the fuel tank in the trunk, you will have to find a way to get around the tank and differential. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment or get a quote.

3. Check Engine Light On