Q: Car runs hot and antifreeze leaks

My car is running hot. The antifreeze is leaking. The car will start, but it runs hot very quickly. The air conditioner also goes in and out when the car is running hot.

A: First we have to find out where the coolant...

First we have to find out where the coolant is leaking. That could be the cause of the over-heating, or just another symptom. Engines that heat up and run hot very quickly is a common symptom of the head gasket leaking. Combustion gases are entering the cooling system. Engines that are turbo charged are more prone to this because of increased combustion pressures. The AC working sometimes or not at all is normal with a hot engine. The computer disables the AC when the engine is too hot. AC adds a tremendous amount of heat to the engine compartment. I recommend having a professional locate any leaks and make the repairs necessary to get your car back safely on the road.