While I was on a month-long trip, my car sat in the garage without being started. Now my car will not start. The lights do turn on and makes two clicks, but nothing happens after that. After jump-starting it, I took it to an auto shop to have the battery recharged. The clerk told me that it was definitely dead all the way. When I picked it up later, I was told that the battery was good then. After getting home I connected the battery using positive first and then negative, which sparked a bit. Then when I tried to start the car, everything shut off completely and there was no power at all in the whole car. When I jiggled the battery a bit, there were some sparks and the power did come back on (the lights, dashboard, etc.). However when I tried to start the car it shut down all the way again. I jiggled the cable and doing that brought everything to life. Can you tell me how to fix this in a permanent way so I won’t keep having to go through these processes?
Hi there. It sounds like the battery has an internal short. I would replace the battery. I would also make sure that the connections at the battery cables are clean and tight. If they are loose at all, then the cables should be replaced. This vehicle has a lot of electronics in it so it is imperative that the voltage in the system is sufficient enough to run everything. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the battery problem and perform any needed adjustments or repairs.
Have a car question? Get free advice from our top-rated mechanics.
Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing