Q: On take off my car jerks to a stop then accelerates as if it's on its own.

When my car Hyundai 2004 Getz model starts, it makes a squeaking noise until it warms up. Then it stops after about five minutes of driving. When I accelerate, it jerks forward then comes to a stop, then it shoots off. This normally happens when I first start my journey. The drive is rough and the car fuel is consumed rather quickly.

Hello, thanks for writing in. It sounds like you may have a few different problems going on here. The noise you are hearing is coming from the belt. Most of the time it is due to the belt being loose or worn out. If the belt is fine then it may be a failing alternator bearing. I always check the belt first and replace it if it is bad and then move on to the alternator if that tests bad. As for the drivability issue, this can be caused by a bad sensor or a failing catalytic converter. Most of the time it is a catalytic converter issue, especially if the check engine light is not coming on. I would start by checking the computer for codes and if none are found I would do a back pressure test of the exhaust to see if the converter is bad. If you want to have this belt noise and hesitation issue fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

3. On take off my car jerks to a stop then accelerates as if it's on its own.