Q: Seized lock cylinder

For the past few weeks, the locking cylinder in my car had been getting stiff until the other day when it seized completely. The key will only turn a bit to let the steering lock off but won't go any further. I've tried most things bar taking it out or having it replace like manually changing the transmission from park to neutral and drive then back to park. I've tried lubricant but still nothing. What would be the best option to sort this apart other than going to a Volkswagen garage?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. First off,...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. First off, you don't need to go to a VW shop or the dealership to have an ignition lock cylinder replaced. As a matter of fact, one of our professional mechanics can complete this for you fairly easily and inexpensive. Most likely, the only way to fix the issue will be to replace the lock cylinder; especially if you've tried lubricants and the issue still exists.