Q: Blocking shifting into reverse

I own a used Spectra 5 and when I tried to shift into reverse like normal the gear resists. There was no grinding and double clutching doesn't work. It felt like something was blocking me from going into reverse. But when I shifted quickly it went right into gear with no problems. I shifted into my other gears just fine. Do you know what might be causing this?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2008 Kia Spectra5. The first thing I would do is try shifting it with the engine shut off. Shift it into reverse and through the other gears. If it shifts easily with the engine off, but difficult with the engine running, that's an indication of the clutch dragging.

A dragging clutch means it is not fully disengaging. That is usually caused by a faulty hydraulic slave cylinder or master cylinder, or both. Take a look at the clutch fluid reservoir to be sure that it's full. If you need help having this all checked, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your shifting issue and let you know what needs to be done.