Q: While driving, hit start/stop button, instead of radio button

asked by on September 21, 2016

Right next to the radio button is my car’s start/stop button. To activate either of these buttons requires pushing on them. Accidentally I hit the engine start/stop button instead of the radio button and all power was lost when the car turned off. No power steering, no brakes, no engine. I had to come to a complete stop, shift to park and then restart. If this had happened on the interstate it could have been tragic. Has anything been created or designed as a cover for the start/stop button to prevent this from happening?

Not that I can find. The Start/Stop button, and how long it must be held to turn the engine off in an emergency is a hot topic. Requiring the driver to hold this button down for 3 seconds could be an eternity in a burning fire scenario. Turning the engine off on the slightest touch may cause the vehicle to stop in traffic when you actually just intended to adjust the radio as you describe. You may want to get in touch with a local Lexus or Toyota representative so that you voice this displeasure.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr