Q: Four-wheel drive encoder motor not working properly.

The 4X4 indicator light on my truck is in a different setting each time I start my vehicle. When I change it to two-wheel drive from four-wheel drive, you can actually hear the change in the transfer case. I was told it may be the encoder motor.

Loud noises when car is put in gear Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, Since this recurring regularly the vehicle should be scanned for code. There is a good chance that the wiring to speed sensor on the transfer case has become compromised over time and the wiring harness needs to replaced. This was addressed in TSB 05-04-21-003C. You may need the aid of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to scan the car for codes and repair the wiring as need since it involves specific pins and routing.