Q: When idling it over heats but when I press on the gas and bring the rmps up they suddenly drop and my car cools down?

asked by on March 11, 2017

When idling it over heats but when I press on the gas and bring the rmps up they suddenly drop and my car cools down also when it over heats my air goes hot to it has a new radiator and a new thermostat

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

When you accelerate the engine, although you are adding heat, the water pump also spins faster increasing coolant flow through the engine and to the radiator. Perhaps there is an issue with the water pump and/or the water pump drive belt performing poorly at idle. If you do replace the water pump, use an OEM pump in case you have to perform further diagnostics on the overheating (aftermarket parts do not always work as well as OEM parts). The most common causes of overheating include low coolant level, a faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, a faulty radiator pressure cap, collapsed hoses, non functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. Certain engine faults, such as a leaking head gasket or poor engine running condition can also cause overheating. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr