Q: Leaking oil and smoking but temp gauge isn't moving - smells like burnt rubber 2004 Ford Freestar

asked by on March 06, 2017

Car is leaking oil but don't know where from. Smokes a little bit after driving. Temp gauge does not move or get to even half. Sleeps like burnt rubber after a while

Hi there - your symptoms describe 2 problems, unrelated to each other. The burned oil smell is likely a leaking gasket, most likely the valve/cam cover gasket. It would leak down onto hot exhaust, causing the smell and light smoke you mention. If you’re engine is not coming up to temperature correctly (needle at the center of the temperature gauge), the thermostat is not closing properly to get engine temperature up to designed operating temperature. I recommend an oil leak inspection and a thermostat replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.