Q: Linkage not working correctly

The linkage for my automatic transmission not working correctly. My car is stuck in park and the shifter is completely loose.

A: The problem most likely lies in either the ...

The problem most likely lies in either the shifter assembly or the linkage rod has become disconnected. The shifter and linkage rod need to be inspected for failure. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who can safely lift the vehicle and inspect why your car won’t shift from park by examining the shifter and linkage rod and make necessary repairs to get the shifter working.