Q: 2000 Ford Taurus won't shift out of park and brake lights don't work

Car wont shift out of park/no brake lights. I have replaced the brake light switch,combination switch, neutral safety switch, and cruise control switch. All other lights still work head lights,turn signal,interior lights. What could this be?

Check fuse number 217 for power in the under dash fuse panel. If you have no power to fuse then the fuse panel needs replaced. If you have power then check for broken wires at the brake switch connector.

There is only one common connection between the shift interlock and the brake lights: the brake light switch and its circuit. Since you’ve already replaced the switch, we can narrow the problem down to the brake light switch circuit. You’ll want to make sure the switch has both power and ground; power is received from a 15 amp fuse, so you might start by checking that. Electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose. I recommend having a professional tackle this job for you. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we come to your home or office.

3. 2000 Ford Taurus won't shift out of park and brake lights don't work