Shifting gears

Q: Shifting gears

asked by on September 20, 2017

So I have an Automatic Mustang and I heard if you shift from gear "1" to "2" to "D" will make your car faster, and I've attempted it and it sure makes engine get louder, and it does feel like I'm getting a quicker boost than normally since I can't manually shift gears with an automatic. But will this hurt the transmission in the long run?

Hi Trond. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Newer cars today are built for longevity - as opposed to performance. As such, an automatic transmission will shift more efficiently in "D" as opposed to the manual shifting option. Overtime, manually shifting an auto transmission will wear out inner seals, and cause the transmission to fail prematurely.